I am trying to reconcile how exhausted I am over my illness being weaponized, and being used to shift sympathy from sufferer to family members/SOs/friends of sufferers, and a realistic understanding of the nature of mental illnesses.
The consistent message I get is as follows: because you’re crazy, your feelings are less valid than mine. You should experience intense pain so that I do not feel inconvenienced.
Which is not to say that mental illness CAN’T be uniquely disruptive, or that family members, friends, and significant others SHOULDN’T be commended for their unique patience. Mental illness is not an excuse for treating people like shit, and no one is obligated to put up with abuse.
I don’t really get why people behave this way towards people with mental illnesses. You wouldn’t be mad at your grandpa because he has cancer and can’t leave the house, so why is it okay to be mad at people who can’t leave the house because they have agoraphobia?
I used to live with a girlfriend suffering from agoraphobia and depression, and I always found it easier to accept the inconveniences caused by her illness than those caused by other, more “neurotypical” people, because I always attributed them to her illness, not to her personally.
- mno-bimaadiziwin reblogged this from nhaler
- apeirophobia said: i love your writing. i’ve been avoiding any kind of real romantic relationship since i was diagnosed for the reasons you’ve mentioned.
- sublimehysteric likes this
- mirkokosmos reblogged this from lkm
- mirkokosmos likes this
- michaelhartog reblogged this from circuitbird
- michaelhartog likes this
- autobibliography likes this
- sixtyforty likes this
- persisting likes this
- nikiya likes this
- cocoonedcalamities likes this
- importantpugge reblogged this from conjuringseed
- thesoulthescreen said: I want to respond to this, but I’m at work. I’d also like to think a bit about how/what to say. Later.
- lkm reblogged this from circuitbird
- thalassarche reblogged this from circuitbird
- direaurevoir likes this
- thesoulthescreen likes this
- thalassarche likes this
- inkblackschizoidconfessions reblogged this from conjuringseed
- lkm likes this
- conjuringseed reblogged this from circuitbird
- conjuringseed likes this
- noelanthony likes this
- hcstritz said: Thank you for writing this. I’ve been suffering a lot lately from anxiety, depression + compulsive behavior and its frustrating that no one around me can understand or even deal with me effectively (with some exeptions.)
- hcstritz likes this
- thesinginglights likes this
- halphillips said: got yr back
- antema likes this
- nhaler reblogged this from circuitbird
- nhaler likes this
- bachlobster likes this
- circuitbird posted this